“Blessed is the man whose strength is in thee. . .who passing through the valley of weeping, make it a well” (Ps.
Comfort does not come to the light-hearted and merry. We must go down into
“depths” if we would experience this most precious of God’s gifts–comfort, and thus be prepared to be co-workers together with Him.
When night–needful night–gathers over the garden of our souls, when the leaves close up, and the flowers no longer hold any sunlight within their folded petals, there shall never be wanting, even in the thickest darkness, drops of heavenly dew–dew which falls only when the sun has gone.
“I have been through the valley of weeping, The valley of sorrow and pain; But the ‘God of all comfort’ was with me, At hand to uphold and sustain.
“As the earth needs the clouds and sunshine, Our souls need both sorrow and joy; So He places us oft in the furnace, The dross from the gold to destroy.
“When he leads thro’ some valley of trouble His omnipotent hand we trace; For the trials and sorrows He sends us, Are part of His lessons in grace.
“Oft we shrink from the purging and pruning, Forgetting the Husbandman knows That the deeper the cutting and paring, The richer the cluster that grows.
“Well He knows that affliction is needed; He has a wise purpose in view, And in the dark valley He whispers, ‘Hereafter Thou’lt know what I do.’
“As we travel thro’ life’s shadow’d valley, Fresh springs of His love ever rise; And we learn that our sorrows and losses, Are blessings just sent in disguise.
“So we’ll follow wherever He leadeth, Let the path be dreary or bright; For we’ve proved that our God can give comfort; Our God can give songs in the night.”
- If Christ Should Come Tonight by Martha Snell Nicholson (4)
- The Old-Fashioned Way by Civilla D. Martin (1)
- Tim Thomas I am looking to play this song on my guitar...
- Account of Two Women Who Prayed for D. L. Moody (1)
- Daniel Brown This is a wonderful testimony! Is there a book in...
- Elisabeth Elliot Quotes (6)
- Collette Diez I have been searching to try to find Elisabeth Elliot's...
- About This Site (20)
- Edith I just found this site. Thank you.
- Unawares by Emma A. Lent (5)
- Arlynne L Jondro In 1960 I was a beehive in my church, and...
- Guests by Martha Snell Nicholson (1)
- James Murdoch Since 1987 I have lived with chronic low back pain...
- Basilea Schlink (5)