JAN 9 – GAINING BY GIVING
The liberal soul shall be made fat. (Proverbs 11:25) If I desire to flourish in soul, I must not hoard up my stores but must distribute to the poor. To be close and niggardly is the world’s way to prosperity, but it is not God’s way, for He saith, “There is that scattereth, and yet increaseth; and there is that withholdeth more than is meet, and it tendeth to poverty.” Faith’s way of gaining is giving. I must try this again and again, and I may expect that as much of prosperity as will be good for me will carne to me as a gracious reward for a liberal course of action. Of course, I may not be sure of growing rich. I shall be fat but not too fat. Too great riches might make me as unwieldy as corpulent persons usually are and cause me the dyspepsia of worldliness, and perhaps bring on a fatty degeneration of the heart. No, if I am fat enough to be healthy, I may well be satisfied; and if the Lord grants me a competence, I may be thoroughly content. But there is a mental and spiritual fatness which I would greatly covet, and this comes as the result of generous thoughts toward my God, His church, and my fellow men. Let me not stint, lest I starve my heart. Let me be bountiful and liberal, for so shall I be like my Lord. He gave Himself for me; shall I grudge Him anything?
- Rosalind Goforth (2)
- He Giveth More Grace by Annie Johnson Flint (1)
- Cesar A Gonzalez Reading this word filled up my soul.
- Missionary's Wives (4)
- E Thank you, Joy. Your response was very helpful and encouraging...
- Elisabeth Elliot (1)
- Jane Henderson I am in search of Elisabeth Elliott flip devotional that...
- Biography of Madame Guyon (3)
- Margaret Greenwood A very moving account of an amazing lady. What an...
- Prayer for Our Children by Amy Carmichael (1)
- Mary Winslow (1)
- christine Thank you
- All Women (6)
- Gisela Yohannan (4)
- Michelle What???