JAN 3 – REST ON A PROMISE
The land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it. (Genesis 28:13) No promise is of private interpretation: it belongs not to one saint but to all believers. If, my brother, thou canst in faith lie down upon a promise and take thy rest thereon, it is thine. Where Jacob “lighted” and tarried and rested, there he took possession. Stretching his weary length upon the ground, with the stones of that place for his pillows, he little fancied that he was thus entering into ownership of the land; yet so it was. He saw in his dream that wondrous ladder which for all true believers unites earth and heaven, and surely where the foot of the ladder stood he must have a right to the soil, for other wise he could not reach the divine stair-way. All the promises of God are “Yea” and “Amen” in Christ Jesus, and as He is ours, every promise is ours if we will but lie down upon it in restful faith. Come, weary one, use thy Lord’s words as thy pillows, Lie down in peace. Dream only of Him. Jesus is thy ladder of light. See the angels coming and going upon Him between thy soul and thy God, and be sure that the promise is thine own God-given portion and that it will not be robbery for thee to take it to thyself, as spoken specially to thee.
- Martha Snell Nicholson (9)
- Worrying by Basilea Schlink (1)
- Andy Thompson As a Christian who is a born worrier, I really...
- Jesus, tender Shepherd, hear me by Mary Lundie Duncan (3)
- Praise in the Midst of Trouble - Streams in the... (1)
- Margaret Henderson I read these lovely devotions every day and I find...
- More Artwork by Lilias Trotter (3)
- Anthea Yes! Check out Lilias' paintings on www.fineartamerica.com
- Mary Lundie Duncan (1814-1840) (1)
- Melody Myrow My Grandmother taught me this prayer when I was a...
- Faith’s Checkbook 02/17 (1)
- Anita Faith's Checkbook has been such an encouraging devotional. It offers...
- A Devious Repentance By Elisabeth Elliot (5)